Below is timeline of noteworthy Climate Change news stories that appeared in newspapers, magazines, or online. The first article mentioning climate change appeared in The New York Times in 1855, over years ago.
- 1855 – it necessarily follows that we shall eventually see our climate undergo as great a change as that of England has undoubtedly done since the time of Caesar, only in a far shorter period… – Climatology – New York Times – Jan 5, 1855 – Page 4
- 1895 – Great masses of ice are frequently observed by navigators in far more southerly position during the summer months in the Atlantic than was the case a few years ago, and the effect of these icebergs is to materially reduce the temperature of Scandinavia and Iceland. The latter island in late years has been suffering so severely that corn no longer ripens there, and the inhabitants, in fear of approaching famine, and a still colder climate, are emigrating to North America…. – Geologists Think the World May Be Frozen Up Again – New York Times – Feb 24, 1895 – Page 6
- 1902 – Hotel keepers in the Alps have a new trouble, and are complaining at the loss of patrons, who are moving away from the glaciers. Yes, the attractive glaciers are actually passing from the landscape, and as they recede the hotels along their borders find that their registers are shortening…. – Disappearing Glaciers – Los Angeles Times – Jul 15, 1902 – Page 4
- 1922 – The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the waters too hot, according to a report to the commerce department yesterday from Consul Ifft, at Bergen, Norway. Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers, he declared, all point to a radical change in climatic conditions and hitherto unheard of temperatures in the Arctic zone…. – Arctic Ocean Getting Warm Seals Vanish and Icebergs Melt – Washington Post – Nov 02, 1922 – Page 2
- 1929 – Every year the seasons advance twenty-five minutes, and 10,500 years from now the seasons everywhere, including the seasons at the Poles, will be reversed. New York State will shovel snow in July and pick apples in December, provided other conditions remain as now…. – Is Another Ice Age Coming – Los Angeles Times – Mar 11, 1929 – Page 22
- 1990 – An international group of scientists working under United Nations auspices has found that global warming could cause serious environmental damage starting in the early years of the next century, long before the maximum temperature levels predicted by many scientists are reached…. – United Nations: Earlier Harm Seen In Global Warming – New York Times – Oct 17, 1990 – Page A9